Welcome to this (not-so) wintry edition of Stitching Tentacles Productions/ Geppetta quarterly update. Here is our agenda for this evening
:1. Leeway Art and Change grant and the weeping cabin film project
2. Femme Week of Action Reportback on WILD GENDER
3. Heels on Wheels Glitter Roadshow in the Northeast this April
4. Southeast Tour Plans
5. Another year without Facebook
1. Last December I received a Leeway Foundation Art and Change Grant to produce a short film that utilizes magical realism and fantasy as tools to portray the hardships of depression, trauma, and suicide and the beauty of survival. Original artwork and puppets from the film will be submitted to the Sent(a)mental Project, a memorial to LGBTQ suicides curated by Dylan Scholinski (who I also must thank for making this project possible on multiple levels).
Thanks to the grant I was able to purchase some film equipment and gifted time to learn about film and animation. I also live in an amazing community full of people who are teaching me a thing or two. For the full project description please click here.
Currently I am wrapping up the storyboard and starting with construction on the film the weeping cabin (working title). I am documenting some of this process here: http://stitchingtentacles.tumblr.com/.
2. Last month was the Femme Week of Action - a week of events in cities across the United States and Canada to "illuminate and align" femme communities. It was organized to help promote the 2012 National Femme Conference that will be happening August 17th - 19th in Baltimore.
Shannon Windsor (Miss Mary Wanna) and I organized an evening of unplugged style performances and an artist talkback at Wooden Shoe Books in Philadelphia. You can read more about the week of action and what the artists had to say on art, politics, and femme identity on WILD GENDER , a newsblog that serves the gender-variant community. Check out the article and make WILD GENDER part of your daily internet repertoire!
3. The Heels on Wheels Glitter Roadshow is back! Last year we spent over a week touring across the Midwest. Words cannot express how utterly inspiring this tour was, though I will say it ended with matching tattoos. Oh yes, and pictures.
This year we will bring our punk rock storytelling, liberation magic, glittery preaching, and whimsical theater to the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. Currently we are still piecing together dates so if you would like to bring us to your community ... please do. You won't regret it. In fact, I daresay you will feel all the more fabulous for it. Contact: heelsonwheelsroadshow at gmail.com
4. Something that is not at all pieced together are my plans for a Southeast tour this June. I would like to work my way down to Tennessee and back. I really love visiting and performing across the South. So please be in touch if have suggestions of places to perform or visit and people to perform with or meet: stitchingtentacles at gmail.com
(p.s. I really like to visit and/or perform in gardens and haunted houses).
I am working on a new series of work entitled De Motu Cordis, about out-of-body experiences in domestic situations.
5. I have been off Facebook for over a year! It really didn't hurt that much. I still feel sufficiently connected by digital means though I would still prefer to interact in person. Be in touch and come see a show or invite me to perform ... or just watch some videos instead
For the love of snow and all things cold and silent.